Sunday, May 29, 2011

Potato Pizza



I LOVE pizza! Its sort of in my genes, my dad is somewhat of a pizza-holic. You can basically do anything to a pizza, from your typical margarita pizza, to a breakfast pizza, to a desert pizza. I have a "family dinner" with my friends every wednesday night and once a month we have a pizza cook off. I heard on a TV show about this place that does a potato pizza and it sounded sooooo amazing! So I decided I would try a version of the potato pizza with my own twist. I believe what makes pizza the is the crust. I love thin crust and I always make my own pizza dough. If you don't have the time to make your own, you can always go to your favorite pizza parlor and buy their dough for a cheap price.


This is stuffed cheese crust pizza dough I make. 



For the Dough


Makes two 10-12 inch pizzas

  • 1 1/2 cup warm water 105-115 degrees
  • 1 package of active dry yeast
  • 3 1/2- 4 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoon honey
  • 2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer add the warm water. sprinkle on the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved. stir to dissolve completely if needed at the end of 5 minutes.


Attach a mixing paddle to the mixer. Mix in the olive oil, flour, salt and sugar on low speed for about a minute. Remove the mixing paddle and replace with a dough hook. 

Knead using the mixer and dough hook, on low to medium speed, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. You can also knead by hand, if the dough is too wet add a little more flour.

Turn the dough around in the bowl with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size. 

Divide the dough and roll out to thithickness and size you desire.


For the Pizza
  • 1 russet potato
  • 1 cup smoked mozzarella cheese
  • 2 slices of bacon cooked
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 sprigs thyme chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
  • pinch salt and pepper

First slice the potatoes very thin on a mandolin. Place in boiling water for about 2 minutes and drain into an ice bath.


To assemble the pizza roll out the dough to your desired thinness. combine the oil, thyme, and garlic and spread over the pizza dough and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next place 1/2 cup of the cheese on top, then the potatoes, and sprinkle with the bacon bits. Top with the rest of the cheese. 


Cook in the oven at 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until the crust is cooked and the cheese is melted.


-Tara 
3 sisters kitchen 3 sisters kitchen 3 sisters kitchen 3 sisters kitchen 3 sisters kitchen 3 sisters kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment